The Byzantine Empire, often called the Eastern Roman Empire or simply Byzantium, existed from 330 to 1453 CE. With its capital founded at Constantinople by Constantine I (r. 306-337 CE), the Empire varied in size over the centuries, at one time or another, possessing territories located in Italy, Greece, the Balkans, Levant, Asia Minor, and North Africa. A Christian state with Greek as the official language, the Byzantines developed their own political systems, religious practices, art and architecture, which, although significantly influenced by the Greco-Roman cultural tradition, were distinct and not merely a continuation of ancient Rome. The Byzantine Empire was the longest-lasting medieval power, and its influence continues today, especially in the religion, art, architecture, and law of many Western states, Eastern and Central Europe, and Russia.
Byzantine is led by Constantine I (Builder-Eloquent).
- Nation Abilities: +1 fatigue limit, [All Cities] +40% culture +25% money.
- Leader Abilities: Builder (can build urban, multiple workers can build improvements, [All Cities] -50% build time for workers), Eloquent (Governor +2 civics per culture level).
- Families: Calogera (Clerics), Kantakouzenos (Landowners), Phokas (Champions), Doukas (Traders).
- Starting Techs: Ironworking, Administration, Sovereignty.
- Unique Units: Comitatenses (Melee-Infantry, 7 Str, can Testudo, -2 iron), Palatini (Melee-Infantry, 10 Str, can Testudo, -2 training -4 iron).
- Unique Shrines: Nestoria (+2 civics, +2 culture), Monophysite (+5 culture), Gnosis (+2 culture, +2 science), Paulicia (+2 training, +2 culture).
- Unique Religion: Byzantine Paganism